Welcome to Mackay, a beautiful city located in the heart of Queensland’s tropical north! Known for its stunning beaches, lush rainforests, and vibrant community, Mackay has something to offer for everyone. Here are some of the best travel times and places to travel in Mackay.
The Seasons of Mackay
Mackay, located in the tropical north of Queensland, and has warm and humid climate with distinct wet and dry seasons. The best time to travel to Mackay depends on your preferences, as each season offers a unique experience for visitors.
The dry season, from June to September, is the peak tourist season, characterized by mild weather with low humidity, perfect for outdoor activities like hiking, fishing, and exploring beaches. The average temperature during this period ranges from 18°C to 26°C, making it a comfortable time to visit.
The wet season, from December to March, experiences high temperatures, humidity, and rainfall. While it may not be the most comfortable time to travel due to the humidity, it’s an excellent opportunity to experience the lush greenery and waterfalls the region has to offer. The rainfall brings the landscapes to life, and the tropical storms and lightning displays are a thrilling sight to behold.
Our Favourite Things to do in Mackay
- Eungella National Park: Escape the heat and humidity and head up to Eungella National Park, located just an hour’s drive west of Mackay. This park is home to some of the world’s most ancient rainforests, stunning waterfalls, and incredible wildlife. Keep an eye out for platypus and other unique species as you explore the park.
- Cape Hillsborough National Park: Wake up early and watch the sunrise over the beach with the kangaroos at Cape Hillsborough National Park. This beautiful park is home to a stunning white-sand beach, incredible rock formations, and of course, the iconic eastern grey kangaroo. Camping is available in the park, so why not spend a night or two under the stars?
- Bluewater Lagoon: Cool off in the refreshing waters of Bluewater Lagoon, Mackay’s free outdoor swimming complex. The lagoon features three swimming pools, a waterfall, and a children’s play area, making it the perfect spot for families and travellers alike.
- Mackay Marina Village: Take a stroll along the Mackay Marina and enjoy the stunning views of the Coral Sea. The Marina Village is home to a variety of restaurants, cafes, and shops, and is the perfect spot for a romantic dinner or a relaxing afternoon with friends.
- Sarina Sugar Shed: Learn about the fascinating history of sugar production in the Mackay region at the Sarina Sugar Shed. This working sugar mill offers guided tours, tastings, and a gift shop where you can purchase unique sugar-related souvenirs.
- Mackay Regional Botanic Gardens: Discover the beauty of the Mackay region’s native flora and fauna! The gardens feature over 3,500 plant species, numerous walking trails, and a beautiful lagoon filled with birdlife.
There you have it – some of the best times and places to travel in Mackay. Whether you’re a nature lover, history buff, or looking for a relaxing beach vacation, Mackay has something to offer. So why not book your trip today and discover the magic of this tropical paradise?
While you’re at it, come in and meet some of our gorgeous playmates available here!